It’s Your Legal Right & Our Priority

It’s Your Legal Right & Our Priority

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Marital & Family Law
  4.  » Grandparent & Extended Family Custody Issues

Grandparent & Extended Family Custody Issues

When a parent is unfit or unwilling to act out his or her role, it is common for other family members to take additional responsibilities for raising this child. Whether you are a grandparent who wants to make sure your grandchild is raised well, or you are stepping in to help your sister or brother raise a child, it is important to present your case properly.

In some situations, grandparents and extended family members are – for all intents and purposes – the people who raise children; but they may have little or no legal authority to make decisions in the child’s best interests. This applies to issues such as healthcare and education. If you are interested in having custody of your grandchild, niece or nephew, an experienced Fort Myers grandparent custody attorney may be able to help protect your rights.

Establishing Custody

Receiving parenting time for grandparents and other extended family members can be a voluntary act or a court-ordered decision. If you are seeking rights, you will likely need to prove the biological parents are unfit or unable to care for the child. This may include showing they have problems with:

  • Drug addictions
  • Mental problems
  • Incarceration

Contact a Fort Myers Grandparents’ Rights Attorney

Because Florida courts have strong opinions about what is best for children, it can be difficult to prove that the children should reside with you. The courts are interested in protecting the best interests of any children involved. We work with grandparents, aunts and uncles to prove they are interested in accomplishing the same thing. Learn more about the rights you have in child custody by contacting an established lawyer to schedule your initial consultation. Call 239-603-6337 to protect your rights.